A comprehensive presentation of the chemical and physical properties, structure, stability, biocompatibility, and biodegradability of Dextran fractions is given in the article Dextran Fractions from Amersham Biosciences (formerly Amersham Pharmacia Biotech) (1). The introduction to the Dextran properties is based on this article.
Pharmacosmos agreed with Amersham Biosciences to expand our Dextran manufacturing responsibilities in order to meet global demands for clinical and high purity Dextran fractions when Amersham Biosciences terminated its Dextran production in 2003.
Dextran fractions are characterized by their average molecular weights and molecular weight distributions.
Dextran is used in various fields such as pharmaceutical, photographic, and agricultural industries.
The versatile use of Dextran products relates to the favorable properties:
- Dextran is neutral and water soluble.
- Dextran is easily filtered.
- Dextran is biocompatible.
- Dextran is biodegradable.
- Dextran is stable for more than 5 years.
For further information about the Dextran fractions, please go to the overview of Pharmacosmos Dextran Products.
- In 2004, Amersham Biosciences (formerly Amersham Pharmacia Biotech) was acquired by GE Healthcare.